Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Can I call it a "come back"?

I've had this one sitting in drafts for a while...figured it's about time I actually finish it and post it...

Is it just me, or is a cappella music making a come-back? This new trend seems to have been kicked off by a little TV phenomenon called "Glee" (which is returning with a new season tonight, and I am SO excited, it's a little crazy). "Glee", which centers around the lives of a bunch of high school kids and faculty that are involved with the Glee Club, has been a bigger hit on TV than I think any one could have predicted. I mean, really, a show that's all about a bunch of show choir geeks is making huge numbers every week and they were nominated for Golden Globes. And not too long ago, a new show that showcased show choirs was on my TV, holding a contest called "The Sing-Off". This was GREAT for a music geek like me!!! Finally we get recognition and the world is exposed to the glory that is choral singing! WOO HOO!!! (okay, I'll stop flying my freak flag now.....)

I've loved a cappella music for a REALLY long time....we are talking MANY years here.....we're talking about a time back before I could legally drink. I've performed in a cappella groups and I've paid to see a cappella groups. One of the most talented and amazing a cappella choirs that I have had the pleasure of seeing time and time again is Chanticleer, an all-male choral group based out of San Francisco. They perform every thing from Gregorian chant to modern musical pieces that have been arranged or composed specifically for them. There is a gentleman in the group that sings as clear and beautifully as any Operatic Soprano. Every Christmas season, they perform in the Medieval Sculpture Hall at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City (http://www.metmuseum.org/home.asp) and it is an ethereal experience, to say the least. I sit there, each year, as they stand in front of this huge Christmas tree that is placed in front of a gate that has to be about 2 or 3 stories tall that was taken from a Medieval Church, and I end up in awe of the sounds they create. If you've never heard of them, check them out. Close your eyes and take it the sounds; they will amaze you.

I don't really get the idea of the "show" choir. I don't need singing AND dancing in my choral music to make it good; I'm all about the sound quality and the balance of the voices. I don't want to just hear the Sopranos, which happens a lot in a choral setting because that range of voice just carries better in most acoustics than the other parts. I want to hear a good mix of each voice part, that's the beauty of choral singing. Show choirs need to be able to do that while they shake a tail feather. Members must be athletes or super heros or some combination of both because I have no idea how they do it. Breath control ALONE is difficult to do while standing still; it's something that even the best of singers sometimes struggle with, so I can't imagine having to dance around and clap my hands and do all that fancy footwork while I sing a song! Hells no. I would probably fall all over myself, loose my breath, go flat and make a fool of myself. So I give these show choir people a ton of credit and kudos and if I could send them cupcakes, I would, but that probably wouldn't contribute to strong breath control. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment