Friday, December 18, 2009

"I Want to Soak Up the Sun"...???

Here we are in another wintery season here in the North East. I should be used to it by now, but every year I cringe a little when I hear the first big snow storm is coming our way. I've been lucky the last few years, we haven't been hit too hard. But it sounds like a big one is headed in this direction over the next day or so.....which got me thinking when I heard a summer-like tune on the radio this morning...

REALLY???

The radio announcer had just finished saying "up to 12 inches" (about the possible snow fall, not about his own potential), and here comes Sheryl Crow, singing about how much she wants to soak up some sun. I love me some Sheryl, don't get me wrong, but I can not take hearing about the summer when it's literally 20 degrees outside and I am bundled up like an Eskimo. Just the other day, as I was trying to defrost myself after sprinting the big 20 feet from my front door to my car in an effort to not freeze a major body part off, I heard the Kid Rock song that mentions "blister in the sun". The only blisters I was worried about at that moment were the ones that were going to form from the cold, not from the sun that I miss oh so very much.

Why in the world do the dj's insist on playing this stuff when it's so cold out? Do they like to torture their listeners? Do they think it will make us happy, thinking back to the good old days of summer when we could ride around with the "car top down and the radio on" (ala Billy Joel in "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant")?? Personally, I think they're just poking at us from inside their toasty-warm radio booths.....laughing as we sit in our cold cars, trudging through the ice and snow, weeping quietly as we remember how warm we were just a few short months ago "soaking up the sun".

No comments:

Post a Comment