Monday, December 14, 2009

Where's my bug zapper??

Fireflies by Owl City is the bane of my ear's existence. There really is no other, nicer way to put it. This song buries itself into my brain and I can't dig it out, even with the usual "It's a Small World" trick! I wouldn't say I enjoy the song by any means, but if I think about what the lyrics (possibly) mean, they're kinda cool.

I took a moment to look up the lyrics - I suggest you do the same if you haven't already or if you can't make them out as they're sung (I used this site, lyricsmode.com, which is pretty reliable). I really, honestly have no idea if there is any hidden meaning behind the lyrics "You would not believe your eyes/If ten million fireflies/Lit up the world as I fell asleep" but it says one thing to me. It sounds like the musings of a child, as they lay in bed on a summer's night, after playing in the backyard around dusk. That's all well and good and lyrics that convey that image definitely have their place in the world; I'm not a fan of that place, but still they have an appeal to some. The music that lies beneath these words is also very whimsical in nature; makes you feel as if you're laying on the grass with a bunch of fireflies up above you. I prefer the music to the lyrics in this case.

Moving to the chorus, the lyrics change a bit; "I'd like to make myself believe/That planet Earth turns slowly/It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep/Cause everything is never as it seems/When I fall asleep" makes me think of an adult who is looking back on their life and they want to relive that care-free time when the most important thing they had to plan for was grabbing a jar from the kitchen before running outside to catch as many of these little natural lanterns as possible. I'd also like to make myself believe that the Earth turns slowly, because I don't want to think that time moves so fast that my youth is now gone and with it the enjoyment of running around my backyard chasing after fireflies.

As I said, I don't really like the song. It's contagious, which I guess is good for the artist, but that doesn't make it a "good" song in my book. Sure, I think that it has a cool meaning behind it (at least I think my interpretation is cool; your's might be totally different), but I just can't get behind it. Maybe if I hear more of their stuff I'll understand it better or I'll at least be able to appreciate their music on the whole. But this song....it just "bugs" me.

No comments:

Post a Comment